Melody Beattie once said, “The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals.”
I don’t know about you, but I LOVE setting goals for the New Year. I think New Year’s resolutions have a very bad reputation and most people think they’re stupid, mainly because most resolutions never actually are kept, but every year, I think of a few things I really need to work on in the new year. This is the first year I am actually writing any of them down, and hopefully when I look back at the end of 2017, I will have actually kept them.
I think the key to making resolutions and setting goals is to be realistic. For example, my resolution is never going to be something like “I want to eat healthy every day”, or “I want to exercise every day of the new year.” Not that these things aren’t important. I should be more focused on being a good steward of my body. But as a junior in college, there is little time for anything outside of going to class and doing homework. I cannot commit to something every day, and that’s okay.
With that being said (written down?), here is a list of my New Year’s resolutions.
- Read Scripture more. Okay, if I’m being completely honest, I am terrible about spending time daily in the Word of God. Even as a Christian studies major, where I academically have to be reading the Bible, I still don’t truly get into God’s Word as much as I need to. I want to be more disciplined about reading the Word of God. This is always on my list. The good news is that I spent more time in the Bible daily in 2016 than I did in 2015 and in 2015 than I did in 2016, so with each year, I am getting better and growing in my daily quiet time, and hopefully, 2017 will be even better.
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God'” — Matthew 4:4
- Write more. Writing is one of my passions. It is my favorite thing to do, and it is a wonderful talent God has given me, and in 2017, I want to focus more on it. My dream for 2017 is to finish a book I’ve been working on for a long time (since NaNoWriMo did not go too well for me this year), and start preparing it to be sent to literary agents.
- More blogging. Piggy-backing off of #2, I want to write more blog posts. I absolutely love blogging, but because of the crazy last semester I had, it got put on the back burner for a little while. This next year I want to focus more on my blog with not only writing more posts, but also connecting with fellow bloggers. 🙂
- Serve God through ministry. God calls each one of his followers to do ministry. He might not call all of us to paid pastors or missionaries, but we are all called (by Jesus–Matthew 28:19-20) to serve him. To be truthful, I have been neglecting this the last few years, especially the past year because of my busy schedule. I want to prayerfully find where God wants me to serve, and to spend more time this year building up God’s Kingdom.
- Worry Less. I wasn’t going to put this on here, but I felt like God has been telling me this is something I need to work on in the new year. I don’t know about any of you, but I worry way too much. I worry about my school work, my friends and family, and mostly, my future. Every time I think about what I want to do after college, I begin to get stressed about it. This year, I want to be better about relying on God’s timing for everything and trusting in his plan for my life… which means, worrying less.
“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” — Matthew 6:34
There are my resolutions for the New Year. Do you have any New Year’s resolutions or goals you are trying to meet in 2017? Let me know in the comments below! I’d love to hear from you!! Thank you so much for reading, and I pray for you and your family this new year!!